Thursday, April 7, 2011

VA Check-up with Dad

Usually, Jacque is the one to take dad for doctor's visit but today was my day because Jacque had to work.  This was the first time I had to take dad anywhere by myself.  Taking him involves assisting him in and out of the car, getting situated in his wheelchair, and wheeling him to where he needs to go.  All this assistance is second-nature to Jacque who is a caretaker by nature and by past experience.  As for me, I'm caretaker-challenged, but I'm willing to learn and help.


The visit was to the VA hospital (see above) on the Tripler Medical Center grounds.  He had an appointment to see his primary care physician, Dr Joan Watson.  The appointment went well, with Dad getting a clean bill of health and Dr. Watson saying to him, "You're a tough old bird!"

That he is.

After the appointment, we stopped off to get a bento lunch and some glazed doughnuts from Kamehameha Bakery.    Dad loved the doughnuts more than the bento.

All in all, a good day with Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment