Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Grandpa Paul Turner

This morning, Jacque and I attended the temple yesterday and after the endowment session we did some sealings in a room that looked like this one.

During the sealing session, which we enjoyed,  the temple sealer, Brother Chong, asked me if I was related to Paul Turner.  "Is he your father?" asked Brother Chong.

"He's my grandfather," I replied.

Come to find out, Brother Chong, as a young man, worked for my grandfather ("a good man," said Brother Chong) as an apprentice electrician at Pearl Harbor during the Korean War years (i.e. the 1950s).  He mentioned how Grandpa helped him get on the fast track to journeyman at the shipyard.

I was thankful to hear this about my grandpa, who I know very little about because he died in 1965 when I was just seven years old.

After the temple, we went ate lunch at windblown Pounder's Beach and then drove down the coast for a swim at Kahana Bay, where my dad taught my home to swim (using the swim or sink method) and perhaps that is where his dad, Grandpa Paul, taught him how to swim.

No comments:

Post a Comment